Monday, May 7, 2012
One of my older posts. "ashamed that i complained"
Before I left the shelter this morning, I had to called paramedics for a sick shelter guest. I didn't immediately recognize him even though he had been coming to the shelter for many years. He was much thinner than usual; Painfully so. His complexion seemed muddy. His voice just above a whisper. His eyes were distant and sunken. He seemed but a shadow of himself. I remember Just about a year ago he was full of life... but not this morning. His breathing labored on as he complained of dizziness. The paramedics arrived and easily lifted his skeletal-like frame onto the stretcher. They whisked him away to a waiting ambulance. Years of intravenous drug abuse and high risk behavior to blame. I usually leave the shelter with a feeling of accomplishment on Thursday mornings but not today. Today i feel sad and grateful. Sad that a fellow human being is suffering but grateful that i was able to serve him hot meals and offer a safe place to lodge. That's as deep as i care to think about it on this beautiful summer morning. Time to correct myself. I will be grateful for my life and will not complain. I will be grateful for my health and will not complain. As i drive along sipping my Carmel macchiato, on the phone complaining about WHATEVER...... I will be mindful that there are people out there with REAL problems!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment