Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I left the shelter at about 7am feeling sleepy but accomplished. For 12 hours, I had helped provide services to the homeless in a drug infested area called Lawndale. I gave a coworker a ride to the train..... On the way, I noticed a neat little line of 15-20 people waiting beside an abandoned building.... they were waiting for the "pass-out" by the local drug dealer. A "pass-out" is when the drug dealers hand out free drugs (usually heroin) to the neighborhood addicts in hopes of promoting their location as a good heroin spot. Heroin addicts are loyal customers because they need the drug daily so that they don't get what's called "dope sick". Dealers think of this as an investment in their future earnings. As I drove past the line, I realized that most of those waiting in line were shelter guest from the night before. My heart sank.

1 comment:

  1. that is really sad. I heard about the dope lines before, but never really understood it all. i guess its good marketing (lol?), but also to the police. it's sad. the shelters are offering solace, but the people will be perpetually in need if the dealer keep posting up near them...

    then again, who wants a shelter to put a bunch of "dope sick" fiends out into the neighborhood every morning... to steal, act crazy, & scare people...

    maybe the dealer is doing a service after all? keeping the sick from behaving worse. and keeping the shelters welcome in those neighborhoods where they are needed most?

    *Super*Char*

    ReplyDelete